– Jessie Woo here withBlack to Life, only on BET.
We are currently in NewYork City Times Square where we’re questioning randomfolks on the streets about their knowledge about black television.
See, right now, dominatingshows include Empire, Insecure, Black-ish, but how much do people really really know about theseshows? Let’s take a look.
(upbeat music) I’m joined by– – Toni.
– And– – Bobby.
– And where are you guys from? – Pennsylvania.
– Aaron Czarsinsky.
– And where are you from? – Atlanta, Georgia.
Sarah, where are you from? – Utah.
– Utah! Okay, Utah in the house.
Alright, so I’m gonna be asking you guys a series of questionsbased on black television.
You get three lifelines, okay? First one, you can ask me for a hint.
Number two, you can askfor multiple choice.
Or, third one is you canphone a black friend.
You got black friends in Utah? – Uh, in Utah? I don’t even think thereare black people in Utah.
– Do black people like, okay do black people inUtah climb the mountains? Okay, call your friend and we’ll see.
First question, which singingduo is on “Grown-ish”? (electronic music) – Oh, uh, I didn’t know there was asinging duo on “Grown-ish”.
– There is.
– Uh, I don’t know.
– You want.
– Multiple choice.
– Multiple choice, okay.
It’s either K-Ci and JoJo, Ikeand Tina, or Chloe and Halle.
– I’m gonna say Chloe and Halle.
– Correct, now you know you know, listen.
– It was not Ike andTina, I know that one.
– Chloe and Halle.
– Okay! It’s Chloe and Halle.
– They’re so cool, so makesure you check them out.
They can sing their little faces off.
This questioncomes from Empire, alright? What is Cookie’s real name? – You’re asking me questionsabout show’s I don’t watch.
– No, come on, everybody watches Empire.
– Aw man, this is awful.
– We’re terrible.
– Cookie Lyon’s real name is.
– You know it, you know it! You know this.
– I don’t know, she’s Cookie.
– I know right? – I mean, does she have a real name? – She does, but it’s like, they don’t say it often, but it starts with a ‘L’.
– I’m gonna say Lisa.
– Close, close.
It’s definitely not Lynn.
– It’s like, it’s reallyhood.
(laughter) So you know what, thatwas a hard one.
– I’m so behind on Empire.
– Okay, it’s Loretha.
Yes, come on now.
– It was Loretha, but I mean he’s close, we’re still gonna givehim a round of applause back home while we watching.
Question number three, what caused Issa and Lawrence to break up? – I’m gonna say they were insecure.
– They were insecure, but what happens when somebody’s insecure inthe relationship, what happens? – Jealousy and cheating.
– Jealousy and cheating.
Somebody cheated, so he got that right.
Do you watch Insecure? – No, I don’t.
– But he still got it right, so it don’t even matter.
– He cheated on her? – You’re close, Issa cheated on Lawrence.
– We’re gonna go with that.
– We’re gonna go with the cheatin’.
– So what’s the reasonmost people break up? – Cheating.
What had happened was, Issa had cheated on Lawrence, and that’s why they broke up.
So you got that right sis.
– Question number four, in, blank, born andraised on the playground is where I spent most of my days.
– Alright, so funny story, that’s west Philadelphia and my boss represents west Philadelphia back in Pennsylvania, so.
– West Philadelphia.
– Is it Philadelphia? – West Philadelphia– – West Philadelphia.
– Born and raised, on the playground.
– Where I spent most of my days.
– In, blank, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent.
– Most of my days.
– Chillin’ out, maxin’.
– Relaxin’ all cool.
– Now shooting some b-ball.
– Outside the school.
– Okay, so where does this take place? – Uh, Philly? – Philly! – Last question.
Grown-ish isa spin-off of which TV show? – Uh, I got one more lifeline.
– I can still phone a black friend.
– Okay, phone a blackfriend, come on, let’s do it.
Let’s do this.
– I’ve used two of mylifelines, and my third lifeline was to phone a blackfriend, so I phoned you, to ask you the question, of what is Grown-ish the TV show a spin-off of? Do you know? He says Black-ish.
– Exactly! Tell him he just won you $25.
– You just won me $25, I owe you a beer.
– Grown-ish is a spinoff of what TV show? – Black-ish.
– Okay, see? – Grown-ish is a spinoff of which TV show? – Uh.
– Come on, you know.
– Exactly, you know what, y’all better give my girl a round of applause at home while you’re watching this.
(dramatic music) I’m joined by the very handsome.
– And where you from? – Harlem.
– Harlem in the house! Alright, so I’m gonna be askingyou a series of questions.
Usually I give peoplelifelines, but you black, so you not gonna get none.
– Okay? You better hold us down.
You gonna hold us down? – Imma try.
He said he gonna try, let’s go ahead and get these questions started.
Question number one, which singing duo is on “Grown-ish”? – Wait.
I don’t even know.
I don’t even think I’ve watched Grown-ish.
– Are you serious? – I’m so serious.
– Come on now.
You know this.
– Cardi B and Offset? – Ahh.
Now I have yet to seea episode of Grown-ish with Bodak yellowplaying in the background and Cardi B and Offsetgetting their Bodak yellow on.
– But Imma go ahead andjust give you the answer.
It’s Chloe and Halle.
– Chloe and Halle? – Do you listen to them? Okay, so he ain’t even– – I never heard of them.
– Really? – I never heard of them.
– On Empire, Cookie’s real name is what? – The actor? – Yes.
– Um, Tarajit, um, Tari, damn.
Taraji Hemson, something like that? – Tajari P.
Henson, but what’s Cookie’s, the characters real name on the show? – I thought that was her real name.
(laughter) – We gonna have ameeting after this, okay? – Okay.
– It’s Loretha.
– Loretha? – Yeah.
– And what episode did they do that? – I don’t know! – Question number three, what caused Issa and Lawrence to break up? – Issa and Lawrence? – Okay, what show is Issa and Lawrence on? Lord, help him lord.
– Insecure? – Do you watch Insecure? – No.
– What? Are you not? – Question number four, in, blank, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent.
– Time to play? Uh, no.
– I cannot.
In, blank, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent.
– Wait, wait, I’m filling in the blank? – Yes.
– Bronx? – No.
Chillin’ out, maxin’, relaxin’ all cool.
– Is that Fresh Prince? – Yes.
But what’s blank? Where is Will Smith from? – Where is he from? – Grown-ish is a spin-off of what TV show? – Grown-ish.
Damn, come on.
– Grown-ish, what’sanother show that has ‘ish? – Childish? No, not childish.
– Okay, what are we? – Black.
– He got it right y’all.
He got it right.
Listen, you know what, wegonna give you this $25 and we’re gonna needyou to go buy Grown-ish, Black-ish, Insecure, Fresh Prince.
(laughter) I cannot.
But thank you somuch for playing Black to Life.
It’s Jessie Woo, we’rehere in Times Square.
Give my dawg a round of applause.
He did what he could, he did what he could.
– I tried.
– Thanks for watching.